Perfect Play Dough
Posted on July 21 2020
Perfect Play Dough
This is one of our favourite homemade play dough recipes. It takes minutes to make, costs under a $1 and it can last for a few months. This homemade play dough is so squishy and soft and it works beautifully with our Beadie Bug Play wooden play dough stamps, cutters, knives and rollers.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup salt
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 cups lukewarm water
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (coconut oil works too)
Optional: food colouring, glitter and/or essential oils
What you’ll need from the kitchen
- Large pot
- Spoon for stirring
- Bowl or wax paper for cooling
- Air-tight container or small plastic zip-lock bag for mixing color and storing
- Stir together the flour, salt and cream of tartar in a large pot.
- Add the water and oil. If you’re only making one colour, you can stir in the colour now.
- Cook over medium-heat, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the dough has thickened and begins to form into a ball.
- Remove from heat and then place inside a bowl or onto wax paper.
- Allow to cool slightly and then knead until smooth and beautifully soft.
- If you’re adding colours after, divide the dough into balls (for how many colours you want). Start with about 5 drops of colour and add more to depending on how bright you want it.
- Knead the dough. If you have a child who loves a bit of sparkle, you could add about 1/4 cup of glitter and knead it in.
Once it’s all mixed together, you’re ready to PLAY.
TIP: After dividing the dough into balls you can put them into the small zip-lock bags. Add coloring, essentials oils and/or glitter then knead the dough, while inside the bag so it doesn’t stain your hands.
NOTE: Store the play dough inside air-tight container, or the bags you mixed them in, to keep soft. If this play dough is stored properly, it will keep soft for up to 3 months.
OILS: Some of the oils we love in play dough are lavender, citrus, lemon, eucalyptus, bergamot, frankincense and peppermint.
Recipe by Jamielyn Nye, I Heart Nap Time